Missed the purpose of this blog? Click HERE!

Monday, September 26, 2011

...spaghetti and meatballs... pg. 162

You can find this recipe HERE



I had made this before, I briefly talk about it in this post... This spaghetti sauce is so yummy. This time when I made it, I did it from fresh tomatoes! I have never done that before! So see, there's another thing I learned from doing this challenge. Our neighbor gave us a ton of fresh tomatoes, and they were all pretty ripe. I figured I needed to use them fast before they went to waste. So I decided to crush them myself and add them to this recipe! And if you know me, you know that I HATE tomatoes. I know, weird, huh? I try them all the time, but I just can't do it. So needless to say, I never want to see a tomato again, after doing this! I QUADRUPLED this recipe! Yes, you read right... I figured since we had so many tomatoes, why not make a big batch, and freeze it? PERFECT.



This pot was filled to the brim, in the picture you can see the ring where the sauce was before I put it in another pot with meat for dinner that night.





After I crushed the tomatoes, I strained (best I could) the juice from the tomatoes, to get the seeds out. Then I did everything else in the recipe. Next time, I will definitely add tomato paste to the sauce. When I did it with the fresh tomatoes, it came out more on the runny side. But if you're using them canned, don't change a thing. Oh, I didn't add sugar to my batch. My mother-in-law always adds sugar to her spaghetti sauce, and I actually really like it. But 1: my husband doesn't like it with sugar, and 2: I'm trying to cut back my sugar intake... So if you've never had sugar in it, try it. You just might like it.
Seriously, before this I had NEVER made homemade spaghetti sauce. I just assumed it would be too hard, with too many ingredients. Boy was I wrong. This is so easy, and just so yummy.


Sorry Prego... You've lost a customer..... for life.


P.s. I forgot to mention those heavenly meatballs! Yes, I made them before I started this challenge, so no picture. You guys. These meatballs are so amazing. I don't even LIKE meatballs! So freaking good.

No comments: